Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Memorial of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082212.cfm

“What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
... am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?”

I have spent some time in fundraising and I often received hand-written complaints from donors to the effect: 

“I receive dozens of requests every week from charitable organizations. Am I supposed to support all of them? I feel terrible about throwing away their letters, especially the ones that come with sacred cards, metals and rosaries. But if I respond to them they just want more money, and I don’t have any more!” 
My short response echoes the landowner in today’s gospel , “You are free to do as you wish with your own money.” 

The longer response may be somewhat more complicated but let’s not forget that simple response. You are created in God’s own image; and, like God, you may give as you choose to give. In the ideal spiritual life, everything we do is freely received and freely given. As Saint Paul said, "For freedom Christ set you free!" 

I advise donors to choose a cause you find worthy of your support. Learn about it; get acquainted with its people; share its dream. Visit them if possible and see your generosity in action. In other words, commit yourself to this good work. And toss out all other petitions. You are doing your share and nothing more can be asked. 

If you were God with infinite resources, you might rightly feel guilty about not giving more. But since you're not, don't.

Being free to do as you wish with your money reflects God’s freedom. It teaches us an important lesson about God. Some people say, "God loves everybody" and "God saves everybody." They tell themselves, “I’m good enough and I don’t have to worry about it.” What they’re really saying is, “I can’t be bothered with God.” 

To their complaisance, Jesus says, “Strive to enter through the narrow gate.” He also says,
Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven, but the children of the kingdom will be driven out into the outer darkness, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”
God loves everyone but owes nothing to anyone. 

As we celebrate the Queenship of Mary we celebrate her wonderful generosity to God. She and Joseph gave him a welcome, safe, disciplined home where he could learn to be a man. God had to learn to live within the straitened circumstances of their home. No easy task! Often, when he asked for more, Mary had to tell him, "There is no more!" When he wanted to do more, they sometimes told him, "That's enough for now!" When he felt the weariness of a child's body they insisted, "There's more work to do." 

Sometimes those worthy causes that represent God in our world must be told, "I have no more to give." They can live with that, and so can you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.