Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time


Frank and Winnie in Indianapolis
Peter approached Jesus and asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?"

It is always good to hear Jesus’ answers but sometimes we must hold off a moment and ponder the questions that are put to him. Peter, the future Vicar of Christ, raises a policy concern. That may not be immediately apparent since he asks “How often must I forgive?” rather than “How often must we forgive?” But the leader, though he is not the entire church, is always more than himself. People look at him as a model and teacher; and few will try to surpass him in virtue. If the leader chooses not to forgive certain transgressions, or decides he has reached the limits of his patience and need go no further, his congregation will follow suit.

In this story Peter’s heart is in the right place; he wants to be a true and exemplary disciple of Christ, and so he volunteers to forgive “as many as seven times.” I’m sure that is way beyond anything most of us would consider.

Saint Matthew’s gospel addresses a maturing church that has already known betrayal, rancor and sectarianism. They have also developed policies about misdoing and forgiveness: specifically, the offended should approach the offender in person and seek reconciliation; if that fails, take one or two with you and confront him; if he will not listen to three of you, ask the whole church to challenge him; and finally, if he still resists, excommunicate him. Excommunication is the last and most desperate measure; it should never be necessary except under the most dreadful circumstances.

I don’t know when a Catholic parish has ever attempted this method but I know many smaller Protestant churches use it. It is never a pleasant experience though it sometimes ends well. The Catholic Church developed its Sacrament of Penance and its Code of Canon Law to handle these difficult situations.

Peter, as he asks this question, already knows the Christian must be prepared to go a long way with his troublesome brother and he asks “even seven times?” Jesus’ reply will challenge him to take it to the next level, a place beyond anyone’s expectation or reasonable supposition. His “seventy-seven” or “seventy times seven times” (whichever) doesn’t stretch the envelope; it blows it apart.

And then Jesus’ parable, using the metaphor of financial debt for sins, explains how reasonable his teaching is. One who has been forgiven great sins should forgive the smaller missteps of other people. Common sense says as much, as the fellow slaves in Jesus’ parable demonstrate.

Provided, of course, that one really appreciates the magnitude of his own sins and the enormity of the gift he has received. That is where we have to step beyond the ordinary. To practice Jesus’ level of mercy, forbearance and patience I will have to contemplate my guilt and God’s particular mercy to me. I will have to abandon my pretense of “trying” to be a Christian and admit that I cannot do it at all. I will consider Jesus’ suffering and see that he has taken my punishment upon himself, and that welcoming troublesome Christians is the least I can do in response. I will see that I haven’t the time for, and can’t be bothered with, resentments when the joy of salvation fills my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.