Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday of the Twentieth Week of Ordinary Time


Thus says the LORD:
I will prove the holiness of my great name,
profaned among the nations,
in whose midst you have profaned it.
Thus the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD,
when in their sight I prove my holiness through you.
I asked my parents one time, “Did you get married so that you could have me?” After they stopped laughing, giggling, chortling, snorting, hooting, chuckling and guffawing; and had wiped their tears away; Dad explained they married because they were madly in love with each other.
“Oh.” I said, somewhat disappointed. That’s when I learned that my parents had not built their life around me. Nor was the universe built for my sake.  

For that matter, my salvation is not all about me, as today’s first reading makes clear. God will save you and me to “prove my holiness through you.”
From ancient times many Christians have assumed Jesus was born and died to save us from our sin. It’s not a major heresy, but it should be addressed from time to time, lest we think too highly of ourselves. The universe is here to show God’s grandeur; the human race exists to see and experience God’s goodness, Jesus was born among us to complete and satisfy God’s infinite generosity.
Our sins are egregious and tragic but God did not interrupt his creation to set us right. He went right on about his business; and then used our foolish sins and their dreadful consequences to demonstrate his goodness. Instead of an Infinitely Brilliant Light shining among brilliant lights, Jesus is an infinitely brilliant light shining in stygian darkness; a darkness which makes him all the more splendid.
If my parents didn't marry to have me, I nonetheless gave them a chance to prove their generosity, courage, patience, mercy and every other virtue, human and divine, as I tested and stretched their limits. There were days when they regretted having me, I suppose, though neither said it in so many words. But in the end they were glad I had brought out the divine in their human love for one another; as our most unfortunate sins displayed God's divinity shining through Jesus’ human nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.