Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time


If you are to go with your opponent before a magistrate,
make an effort to settle the matter on the way;
otherwise your opponent will turn you over to the judge…

I believe the expression is, “settle out of court.” It’s quicker, simpler, less expensive and less painful than dragging a complaint all the way through the system – and the settlement is generally more satisfying.
Boardwalk into the woods
over marshy soil
In today’s gospel, as he often does in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus advises his people to use a little common sense – something which is often in short supply among his starry-eyed disciples. They’re likely to suppose that “Right makes Might!” and “We should fight on because our cause is just!”
Wisdom suggests, “Choose your battles.” Not every right will be won, not every justice is worth fighting for. As long as we live in this world there will be injustice and unfairness. That “peace which the world cannot give” does not come to those who are continually mounting jaded nags, donning barbers’ bowls, arming themselves with broken lances and riding off to do battle with windmills.
Rather, as Saint Paul says in today’s first reading, there are many times when we should
bear with one another through love, and strive to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.