Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday of the Twenty-sixth Week of Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/100512.cfm

Whoever listens to you listens to me. 

Whoever rejects you rejects me.
And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me." 


Today we have heard the Voice of God speak with terrifying thunder to Job, and we have heard him make the wise decision to speak no more in defiance of God. 
Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you?
I put my hand over my mouth.
Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again;
though twice, I will do so no more.
Christians, Jews and Muslims retain within our genetic code an awareness of God's majesty. Whether we are peering to the outer reaches of the Universe or searching for Higg's Boson in micro-space; whether we are studying the flight of eagles or studying the flow of currency through international markets; or even as we chart the path of ideas through the neurons in our brains: we have only to pause and take a deep breath to remember the Lord of All Creation.  "Who thought of all this?" we often ask ourselves. 

Today we have also heard the distress of Jesus as he reflects upon the blessings that Chorazin, Bethsaida and Capernaum have ignored. "Woe to you!" he cries in his distress. How could anyone overlook such a gift? 

Finally, we hear a most amazing statement directed at us: 
Whoever listens to you listens to me.
Whoever rejects you rejects me.
And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."
We carry an enormous message to the world and the world must pay attention to us. The foolish among us might let this responsibility swell our heads. They might think they deserve special privileges as the Chosen of God! 

But the wiser among us repent with fear and remorse: "My God, I too have overlooked both your Majesty and your Goodness to me!" 

Humbled, we begin to speak quietly and urgently to our friends, neighbors and enemies: "Hear the Word of the Lord!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.