Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/110512.cfm

MSF Summer Picnic
2012
Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory;
rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
each looking out not for his own interests,  but also everyone for those of others.

Recently I spoke with my spiritual director, asking how I should go about making more or better sacrifices for the Love of God. He said, "You could start by paying more attention to your friars in community."

Now why didn't I think of that? It is so easy to be busy about many things when only one thing is necessary. I've always got someplace to go, people to see and things to do. I do stop and smell the flowers occasionally but stopping to listen to the friars is another matter. They're a lot more complicated than flowers.

Saint Paul speaks to me: regard others as more important than yourself.

Occasionally I have to remind myself I didn't come to the Franciscans to show them how to be Franciscans. I came because I want to learn from them, because they can show me the way of salvation. But they don't tell me what The Book says; they give me the chance to do it!

I can readily find ways in which I am the Best Friar in the house. I have my special ways to be a Franciscan, Catholic and Christian. Since I am so very good at those specialties, it's easy to overlook all the ways in which I am not even remotely competent. And I am just as adept at not noticing the ways in my companions are excellent, because I see their shortcomings so well.
Last summer, one of the friars said to a guest at our table, "You are clearly at a disadvantage in the conversation here since you know so little about us."
I added to his hospitable remark, "...and we know too much!"
Sometimes it is easier to get along with people I don't know well.

Saint Paul goes on to add, we should look out for one another's interests. We should ask, "How was your day? Did anything interesting happen to you today? What was your best moment, and your worse? Tell me a story. Speak, friend, I am listening."

During those earliest days of the Church, Saint Paul saw clearly that we are the Body of Christ. The salvation of each is tightly twined with the salvation of all. As he considered this mystery of our intense, intimate involvement with one another, a song about Jesus sprang to his mind. We will hear it tomorrow. It is one of the most perfect teachings on the mission and person of Jesus in all the scriptures. In effect he reminded, n
ot even Jesus would consider himself better than others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.