Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wednesday of the thirty-second week in ordinary time

Lectionary #493
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/111412.cfm



MSF Picnic
2012
Remind them to be under the control of magistrates and authorities, 
to be obedient, to be open to every good enterprise. 
They are to slander no one, to be peaceable, considerate, 
exercising all graciousness toward everyone. 
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deluded, 
slaves to various desires and pleasures, 
living in malice and envy, 
hateful ourselves and hating one another. 

With election results still ringing in our ears, we hear Saint Paul's prudent advice about living under civil law. We should respect civil authorities regardless of their ideological tendencies or moral integrity. We’re not here to make ourselves obnoxious, nor do we need to bring the wrath of authorities upon ourselves. 

The Catechism of the Catholic Church urges both respect for and critical assessment of civil governments:

  • 2254 Public authority is obliged to respect the fundamental rights of the human person and the conditions for the exercise of his freedom. 
  • 2255 It is the duty of citizens to work with civil authority for building up society in a spirit of truth, justice, solidarity, and freedom. 
  • 2256 Citizens are obliged in conscience not to follow the directives of civil authorities when they are contrary to the demands of the moral order. "We must obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29). 
  • 2257 Every society's judgments and conduct reflect a vision of man and his destiny. Without the light the Gospel sheds on God and man, societies easily become totalitarian. 
We know how easily societies become totalitarian because we know how quick to judgement we are, and how ready to dispose of intractable problems. 
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deluded,slaves to various desires and pleasures,living in malice and envy,hateful ourselves and hating one another.
"If I were God,: I think, "I wouldn't let that problem go on! I would deal with those evil people!" Thank God, I am not! 

Before we dare to take the splinter out of a neighbor's eye, be he a pro-abortion foe or a middle eastern terrorist, I must take the log out of my own eye. Justice begins with my practice of penance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.