Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Memorial of Saint Paul Miki and Companions, Martyrs

Lectionary: 325
A southern hillside
and a northern

At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain,
yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness
to those who are trained by it.

As the Author of Hebrews knew so well, discipline has always been unpopular. At times it is so despised it breaks down all together and chaos reigns. And then we lament its loss.
So strengthen your drooping hands and your weak knees.
Make straight paths for your feet,
that what is lame may not be dislocated but healed.
 Beyond its marvelous exposition of the doctrine of "Jesus, our High Priest" the Letter to the Hebrews is an exhortation to live the Gospel Life. 

Did you think it should be easy? Did you expect a free ride? Fuggedaboutit! As Jesus said, "Those who wear fine clothes and live in luxury are in royal palaces." That's not us, and that's not our way. 

We are people of penance. We live by sacrifice, not by shortcuts. We embrace learning, discipline, constant self-scrutiny and the Lord's command to "Amend your ways." We're embarrassed enough by our shortcomings without bringing further opprobrium on ourselves with self-pity.

For us there are two kinds of experience: brief moments when we enjoy "the peaceful fruit of righteousness" and long periods of discipline. We appreciate both even as we heed the advice of the saints to prefer the latter. Favors are always dangerous because we like them so much. Easily we slip into thinking we deserve them, that the hard times are past, and that everything will be simple and pleasant from here on in. 

Each day the Christians asks the Lord to bless and guide her, "Take me by the hand and lead me, for nothing will happen today that you and I cannot handle together." 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.