Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday of the First Week of Lent



Thus says the LORD: Just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down And do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, Giving seed to the one who sows and bread to the one who eats, So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it.

In today’s gospel we learn Jesus’ discipline of prayer. The story is told of the desert father who taught a promising young disciple the Lord’s Prayer. He was disappointed when the young man did not return the next day. When he finally met him again, many years later, the old teacher asked why he never came back. The reply: “I have never finished studying the one prayer you taught me.”
As Jesus is the Word of God Incarnate, the Our Father is the Spirit of God verbalized. To know this prayer is to know God’s heart; to say this prayer is to breathe the Holy Spirit. It does not return to God void; it achieves the end for which God sent it.
This is why Christians recite the prayer so often and Catholics include the prayer in our rosary. It teaches us to know the Father of Jesus, and to approach the “Throne of Mercy” with confidence. Encouraged by Jesus, impelled by the Spirit, we have no fear as we bring our needs before God. Very often we realize that we have truly left them at his feet to dispose of them as he chooses. Having asked God’s blessing on this or that problem, we leave it with God as our life rushes on to other worries and concerns.
Periodically I like to take the Lord’s Prayer to my prayer bench and sit with each syllable of each word, one syllable per breath. My mind has to be pretty fresh in the morning to stay focused that long, but it allows me to surrender every other thought to God. I certainly can’t solve my problems with anxiety. So I gently, persistently give them over to our-fa-ther-who-art-in-hea-ven-hal-lo-wed-be…. 
There is no need to finish the prayer, or to repeat it hundreds of times. It is good simply to sit with the Prayer of Jesus as it waters the earth, making it fertile and fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.