Thursday, April 11, 2013

Memorial of Saint Stanislaus, bishop and martyr

Lectionary: 270

They do not sow or reap or gather into barns,
and yet their heavenly father
feeds them.
Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is trustworthy.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of Holy Week the gospel readings directed our attention to Judas Iscariot's treason. The story of Jesus' suffering and death would not be complete without remembering that incident. Jesus was not simply arrested by his enemies, run through an abbreviated trial and summarily executed. His humiliation had to go deeper than that all too common occurrence in the lives of good people.

Rather, we had to know that he was betrayed by one he loved, even by one whose feet he washed during the Last Supper. He was betrayed by one of us.

Hearing that story and recognizing how truly it speaks of our experience of church -- for we have a long history of betrayal -- each of us must walk away from the Sacred Banquet wondering, "Is it I, Lord?" 

The Christian who feels that anguish intensely might well ask, "Is anyone trustworthy? My father or mother? My spouse or children? My friends or neighbors? My priest or teacher? Can I trust myself? Should anyone even trust me? 

Is there nothing sure anywhere "in heaven or earth or under the earth or in the sea?" 

The question demands an answer for we cannot live without one. Nor can we live with the wrong answer. But who is trustworthy? 

Jesus believed that His God is worthy of trust. He showed us how deeply he trusted in God as he made his way to certain death in Jerusalem. He demonstrated his trust in God as he stood silently before his judges and accusers. He never attempted to defend himself or extricate himself from the fatal grasp of the conspiracy against him. He did not explain, bargain or plea. He waited for God's deliverance even as he was hanged on a tree. 

Jesus showed us that the human being has an infinite capacity for trust. Had that been the end of the story, we might well conclude there is nothing and no one anywhere who is reliable. 

His Resurrection showed us that His God is trustworthy. 

In today's gospel, as he is finishing his midnight conversation with the irresolute Nicodemus, he counsels him, Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is trustworthy.

Each decision that we make should testify to God's trustworthiness. As we face more violent weather brought on by climate change, and the American  infrastructures of civility, law and services disintegrate: many people are purchasing weapons. They intend to divert or destroy looters if civil law should break down during a storm, tsunami or brush fire. The only question, "Should I buy a shotgun or an AR-15?"

The flicker and the robin
will browse together. 
Should I buy a gun to protect myself? Am I willing to kill a boy, girl or man to protect my stuff? 

Or is my only treasure God? Do I trust that God will provide everything that He thinks I need, should such a crisis occur? 

Is Jesus' God trustworthy, or was his death sheer stupidity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.