Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuesday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time



My son, when you come to serve the LORD,
stand in justice and fear,
prepare yourself for trials.
Be sincere of heart and steadfast,
incline your ear and receive the word of understanding,
undisturbed in time of adversity.
Wait on God, with patience, cling to him, forsake him not;
thus will you be wise in all your ways.

The service of a great lord, one might suppose, is a cushy job. It is that “Easy Street” of which Rooster and Miss Hannigan sing in Annie: Easy street / Easy street / Where you sleep till noon… Easy street / Easy street / Where the rich folks play / Yeah, yeah, yeah / Move them feet /Move them ever-lovin' feet / To Easy Street.

Neither Testament makes such a promise to the faithful Jew or Christian. The consistent message is “Expect adversity.” Although one is “sincere of heart and steadfast,” although one inclines the ear and receives the word of understanding, God's servants will be tried.

Perhaps that's why I find the Parable of the Talents so amusing. The fellow who was given ten talents and returned ten more talents, was then given ten cities to manage! And the fellow who produced five talents from his five was given five cities to manage. I suppose the parable presumes these successful entrepreneurs will rake outrageous fortunes from their new responsibilities, but as a Franciscan I'd want to say, "Thanks, but no thanks! I've been there and got the t-shirt." 

The privilege of discipleship is enduring trials with Jesus. I often remind my Veterans in the hospital, the young and the old, "It doesn't get easier. It's not supposed to." Whoever coined the expression Golden Years was not speaking of the world we know. 

Many people will search for another road to happiness, a road that is less daunting and more inviting, a road of quick, easy and short-term gains. 

But the Lord's highway is a long road indeed, and the long term gains are beyond our imagining. In That Day we will see every wrong righted, every wound healed and every sorrow comforted. In the meanwhile, 

Wait on God, with patience, cling to him, forsake him not;thus will you be wise in all your ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.