Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 349


Come to our aid, O God of the universe, and put all the nations in dread of you!  Raise your hand against the foreign people, that they may see your mighty deeds.  As you have used us to show them your holiness, so now use them to show us your glory.  Thus they will know, as we know, that there is no God but you.  Give new signs and work new wonders; show forth the splendor of your right hand and arm.


The seer is one who sees what others cannot see. In this first reading from the Book of Ecclesiasticus, the wise man prays that all people – the elect and “the nations” -- will have the vision to see God’s mighty deeds.


The enemies of God’s people should see the holiness of his people. Our morally upright behavior, our religious practices, and our habitual awareness of God’s presence should demonstrate what it means to be God’s beloved people. And, conversely, the frustration of their wicked plans should reveal the glory of God to us. The Book of Esther demonstrates God's ability to deliver his people, even by the hand of a beautiful young woman. 


As I prayed for a Veteran’s recovery recently I was reminded of how we must be given “eyes to see.” This particular Veteran is in very poor condition. He can barely walk and must rely on his elderly wife for much assistance. I don’t know his exact condition but I think he has not long to live.


And yet I prayed with him for the recovery of his ability to walk and care for himself! It seemed ironic, at best, to think he might recover any of his former strength.


But then I realized that God might show him “new signs and new wonders” that we might not otherwise notice. He might not walk again, but he might have the vision to see beauty in his helplessness. 


Saint Francis had that gift of sight. Toward the end of his life he saw a terrible spectacle, the death of an entire city, Damietta in Egypt. The city was under siege for several years by Crusaders. They cut off every external source of supplies. When they finally assailed the gates and captured the city, they met no resistance. Every single human being had been dead for several days. They had died of disease, starvation or suicide.


Francis saw that, and yet he could still pray, “You are good, all good, supreme good!” Clearly he saw something so intensely beautiful it could overwhelm even the horror of a dead city.  


All of us will die and many of us will die when we would prefer to live. Some of us will die in great discomfort. Lord, give me eyes to see. Train me to see as you see that I may see clearly your new signs and new wonders, the splendor of your right hand and arm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.