Friday, June 28, 2013

Memorial of Saint Irenaeus, Bishop and Martyr

Lectionary: 375


When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him
and said: “I am God the Almighty.
Walk in my presence and be blameless.”




Last year, I heard author Charles Murray on the radio speak of his book, Coming Apart. He sees American society splitting into two classes, the wealthy and the poor. These were not the 1% versus everyone else, nor even the 10% who are said to own half of America. His book is more broadly concerned about the two largest groups, the "haves and have-nots." They are not separated by race or ethnic background but by differing neighborhoods, schools, churches, shopping districts, and entertainment.

Interestingly, the upper class continues to maintain fairly high moral standards. Although they divorce, they marry and remarry and have children within marriage. When they get addicted to alcohol or drugs they pursue therapy and recovery. They maintain a work ethic, find or create employment and attend church. 


The new lower class, however, often have children out of wedlock, are under-educated, unemployed and unemployable with physical and mental disabilities. They are prey to chemical abuse of every sort with little hope of escape.


Oddly, the upper class makes no attempt to set moral standards for their lesser brethren. Their multicultural, non-judgmental, laissez faire philosophy tolerates bad behavior. Some profit by that corruption with indiscriminate investments; they pour money as readily into alcohol, drugs, arms and entertainment as into hospital care. The only value is profit.


Today, in the first reading, we heard the Lord’s challenge to that Christian upper class, “I am God the Almighty. Walk in my presence and be blameless.” Leviticus insists, “Be holy as I am holy.”  


It is not enough to say, “I practice virtue as I understand it but I don’t judge others.” or “Who am I to say what others should do?” We are all in this together and there are no barrier walls or gated communities sturdy enough to shield the privileged from social decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.