Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Memorial of Saint Bernard, Abbot and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 420


The LORD turned to (Gideon) and said, “Go with the strength you have
and save Israel from the power of Midian.
It is I who send you.”
But Gideon answered him, “Please, my lord, how can I save Israel?
My family is the lowliest in Manasseh,
and I am the most insignificant in my father’s house.”
“I shall be with you,” the LORD said to him,
“and you will cut down Midian to the last man.”


The Lord often chooses the weak and makes them strong to overcome the enemies of his people, as in today’s story of Gideon. He was the “most insignificant” member of the lowliest family in Manasseh, and Manasseh was the weakest of the twelve tribes of Israel. This biblical motif demonstrates God's sovereign strength, our weakness and our total reliance on God.  

We have seen this theme many times: the Hebrews escaped Egypt despite the Pharaoh’s pursuit into the Red Sea; a shepherd boy David killed the Philistine giant Goliath; the Prophetess Deborah led an army of foot soldiers against Sisera’s 900 chariots and defeated them; then Sisera was assassinated by Jael as he hid in her tent; Judith unmanned the Assyrian army by decapitating Holofernes; the Maccabean guerrilla army defeated the Seleucids, captured Jerusalem and purged the temple; and so forth. With God on their side even a very small army cannot be defeated.

But the death and resurrection of Jesus, which fulfills this theme, demonstrates a deeper dimension. This is not simply God’s preferred way to prevail. It is not even the right and proper way. It is the only way of salvation. His light shines in darkness; his power is manifest in human weakness; and his foolishness is stronger than human wisdom.

Once again we see the amazing wisdom of Saint Paul. On the rare occasions when he tried to overcome his opponents with strength, as he opposed the “super-apostles,” he had to fall back on his weakness. Power only made this wandering tent-maker look ridiculous. God said to him,
"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.

As he passed days and weeks in jail cells and the brigs of prison ships he came to understand God’s strength:

in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Two millennia later we are still tempted to overcome our enemies and their arguments with whatever power we can muster. As the preacher said to me, "When God needs me to protect him, God's going to be big trouble." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.