Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time

A view from the Ferris Wheel
at the Kentucky State Fair
Lectionary: 425

Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You lock the Kingdom of heaven before men. You do not enter yourselves, nor do you allow entrance to those trying to enter.



Christian leaders continually face a terrifying paradox. They must lead their congregations through the narrow gate without getting in the way. Their only real qualification for this ministry is personal integrity. Knowledge, training and experience are certainly useful but only of secondary importance. After all the years in seminary, your MA in pastoral theology won't get you downtown on the city bus. More often than not, neither will your ordination. 

That integrity is rooted in the covenants of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation. Within the Catholic Church it is also recognized as Holy Orders, a sacrament conferred on deacons, priests and bishops. But, as we all know, the rites are mysterious; their guarantees may hide tragic, even fatal, deficiencies. 

The paradox, simply put, is that I should "be myself;" but myself must be worthy of the authority entrusted to me. Every Christian leader, from bishop to catechist to parent, should be keenly aware of this paradox.

The young parent, weary of her child's continual demands, often discovers within herself a woman she never expected to meet. She is angry, irrational and petty. Hurting, angry words spew from her mouth; words she would never choose to use. She is being herself, and not at all happy with what she has discovered. But she is not alone. Every catechist, priest and bishop meets that same conundrum. Can I trust myself to lead? 

Leaders of every sort -- from the family to the military -- are soon exposed as human beings flying mostly by the seat of their pants. Despite their training and their good intentions, they cannot suppress who they are. 

I've been reading a history of World War II lately. The story is rich with the human foibles of presidents, prime ministers, tyrants, insurrectionists, generals and admirals and the men who trusted them. War is like chess; the winner is the one who makes the fewest mistakes within the mayhem of battle. Only occasionally do knowledge, training and experience prevail. No one knows what's going on.  


As we read today's gospel we hear Jesus' furious anger at incompetent, unworthy leaders. They are control freaks who lead their flocks to the narrow gate but will not let them pass through it. 

Sooner or later, I suspect, everyone discovers his and her own positions of leadership. They come with Baptism. We must pray daily, with an anxious, urgent spirit, to be found worthy of such a terrible, beautiful gift. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.