Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Memorial of Saint Gregory the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church




What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
Have you come to destroy us?
I know who you are–the Holy One of God!”




The terror of Jesus erupting from the possessed man mirrors the fright of evil. The Lord's coming means that things are going to change and no one quite knows what that change entails. 

We will not be asked to like or approve the change; we will be invited to accept it. For it is the mercy of God coming upon us.  

Recently, playing cards, I erupted in anger and disappointment when my partner, a dear old man of 96 years, missed an opportunity. We lost the trick, the hand and the game -- in one fell swoop! I was furious. 

I had to talk calmly to myself the rest of the evening. "It's just a game. It doesn't matter. Don't think about it. Quit retelling the story in your mind." 

Fortunately, the next day, I apologized to him. He had already forgotten the incident, of course; but explained that he's not as sharp as he used to be. (Which is not true.) I assured him my offence was far worse than his. He had only misplayed a card; I had yelled at him! 

It wasn't till then that I realized how unjust and unkind my behavior had been, and how utterly inappropriate it was. I had still harbored some justification for my reaction. ("But we lost the *^%*# trick!") Until I apologized a part of me was still frothing at the mouth like the demoniac in Capernaum. 

Surrendering to mercy, I received mercy; and we played another round of cards. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.