Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 473

Recommended Collect for today
‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’
Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself
but is not rich in what matters to God.”



Jesus’ parable describes a common situation in 21st century America, known as hoarding

I met a fellow who had leased several storage units. Each time he left the hospital he intended to clean out those spaces, sort through the clothes, books, furniture and knickknacks. He would sell most of it, keep much of it, and throw some away. On one occasion he gave me a few of his valuable items. They were cheap premiums – a Chinese watch, ballpoint pens, plastic water bottles, and so forth. Salesmen give this stuff to potential customers.

Each time he returned to the hospital he told me he had not the strength to do it. The last time I saw him, when he again described his ambition of sorting through those storage units, I told him quite frankly, “I don’t think you’re going to leave the hospital.” 

Still he hoped to finish the job. Unfortunately I was right. His friends were left with the keys and the bill for disposing his earthly treasures. 

The saddest part: he never found the wheat of his faith amid the chaff of his possessions. He did not rest his head on his pillow and his heart in prayer. He could not let the rosary beads lie inert in his fingers as his spirit soared to the presence of God.

In this 21st century Jesus' words are as fresh as the morning sun, “(Your) life does not consist of possessions.”


Learning of my friend's passing, I remembered how he loved the sacraments, and revered especially the priesthood. I prayed that he might yet inherit the treasures of heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.