Sunday, December 15, 2013

Third Sunday of Advent

Lectionary: 7


Jesus said to them in reply, 
“Go and tell John what you hear and see: 
the blind regain their sight, 
the lame walk,
lepers are cleansed, 
the deaf hear,
the dead are raised,
and the poor have the good news proclaimed to them.
And blessed is the one who takes no offense at me.”



Why would anyone take offense at Jesus? 

Given that we sinners find it easy to take offense at anyone for any reason, I suppose there are many reasons why people might take offense at Jesus. But still, you have to wonder.

Saint John, waiting in the dungeon of Herod's castle, hoped and expected to hear news of Jesus. In one fashion or another he should announce the Kingdom of God. It might be a military/political event, though Jesus was neither a politician nor a soldier. It might be a religious event accompanied by miraculous revelations. Some Jews expected the Messiah to be a priest; he would enact some marvelous, mysterious ritual. But Jesus was not a Levite. His lineage was of David's house. 

So what could John expect? He knew in his bones it was something wonderful. The Spirit of Prophecy had been upon John all his life; he had seen the Spirit descending upon Jesus in the form of a dove. 

When John's emissaries questioned Jesus, he showed them the works he was doing; he restored human beings, giving them the capacities they were supposed to have from the beginning. And he preached the good news to the poor. His ministry was a form of word and sacrament.

Then he added, "Blessed is the one who takes no offense at me.” It's almost an apology. It's certainly a direct word to John to hear what God says and to know what God knows

Jesus' work is a sign of the Kingdom of God as no one had expected it. Their waiting for the Messiah did not suppose he would enable the helpless, poor or forgotten to stand on an equal footing with others. 

As Matthew tells the story, Jesus then spoke to the crowds about John the Baptist. He asks of them, "What did you expect to see when you went out to see him? 
A reed swayed by the wind? Then what did you go out to see? Someone dressed in fine clothing? Those who wear fine clothing are in royal palaces. Then why did you go out? To see a prophet?
The media frenzy around Pope Francis resembles the fascination that drew the crowds out of Jerusalem to see John the Baptist. Is he a prophet? Is he the prophet we've been waiting for? 

There's a lot of distress and confusion here. People are complaining about the "uncertain trumpet" of the Church. It's seems to be "a people adrift." Devout parents cannot seem to generate faith in their children. Sincere, hard-working priests celebrate Mass in half-empty churches. The fastest growing religious demographic is "nones." They practice no religion and say they get along fine without it. 

Jesus speaks a strangely reassuring word to John and to us, "Blessed is the one who takes no offense at me.”

How this uncertainty is to be resolved has not been revealed. It will come in its time, in God's time. 

Several years ago, I was assigned as spiritual director of a Third Order Secular Franciscan fraternity. At my first meeting one woman said to the other members, "Let's let Father Ken share his vision with us!" 

I frankly didn't have one. Eventually I contributed some insights to the leadership council and made a difference, but I didn't know how this aging group should catch fire and summon the spiritually hungry crowds to our banquet table. Their average age only grew older during my term. 

I do not take offense at Jesus. His Spirit comforts, instructs and guides me. It must attract others too, as it always has, in its own way and its own time. Along with everyone else, I await a rebirth of wonder and I have no doubt it will come. Perhaps as soon as Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.