Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tuesday of the First week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 306


I was only pouring out my troubles to the LORD. Do not think your handmaid a ne’er-do-well; my prayer has been prompted by my deep sorrow and misery.”
Eli said, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.”
She replied, “Think kindly of your maidservant,” and left.
She went to her quarters, ate and drank with her husband,and no longer appeared downcast.


Yesterday we heard the first part of Hannah’s story and I reflected upon the unhappy state of her polygamous family. In today’s reading we learn of Eli’s blessing and Hannah’s consolation. Nothing visible has changed except an old priest has spoken kindly to her and she has accepted his blessing.

Several years ago, a woman coming on retreat in Prior Lake, Minnesota asked about Father Ambrose. I told her he had passed recently, during the last year. She told me of her last and only meeting with him. She had come on retreat and gone to confession with him. She said she could only cry as she poured out her troubles: her mother had died, her marriage was troubled and her daughters wouldn’t speak to her. Father Ambrose had taken her hand and said, “That’s okay, Dear. We all make mistakes.”

In that moment she realized he had not heard a word she said. And she was healed. Forgiving a kindhearted, deaf old man she found peace in herself and the lot she had been given.

Sometimes it only takes a small opening for the healing grace of God to rush into our hearts. It is a mighty wind searching every vulnerable point of our stoutly defended hearts for entry. It is a curious camel whose nose detects a way into the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.