Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday of the Third Week of Lent

Lectionary: 241

Jesus replied, “The first is this:
Hear, O Israel!
The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your mind,
and with all your strength
.

The second is this:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no other commandment greater than these.”




If you stroke a magnet with a pin several times the pin will be magnetized. The iron molecules in the pin, still cohering to one another, will be realigned by the magnetic force until the whole structure is converted. 

If I reflect on this gospel often and with devotion, each part of my distracted self will be realigned to the love of God. How beautiful that thought is. It is a promise of everlasting life. 


We are deep into Lent now. The choirs in our churches are rehearsing their Easter songs. Carrier services are delivering palms and tapered candles. "Environmental committees" are completing their plans for the Vigil Services. The catechumens are praying intently with their sponsors in preparation for Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation. Christians are confessing their sins in preparation for the renewal of the Baptismal Vows. Day by day, with each prayer and with each sacrifice for the love of others, we become more ready to walk with Jesus to Calvary. 


Perhaps the readings of Lenten Fridays are chosen with particular attention to the approach of Good Friday. Certainly what happened on That Day makes no sense if we do not have some grasp of today's gospel: "You shall love the Lord your God...." and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 


No one in his right mind would imagine himself undertaking the crucifixion with the dedication and composure of Jesus. He died under the most appalling circumstances and yet the Centurion -- a man who had seen many men murdered, killed in battle and crucified -- would say of Jesus, "Truly this was the Son of God." His was the most graceful death in history. 

Although I would not imagine dying in that way, the dual command of Jesus opens a window to my understanding of how he died. My love of God and neighbor, though far from complete, allows a glimpse of Jesus' total gift of self. He did this in love, with his complete assent. As he insisted, "No one takes my life from me. Freely I lay it down and freely I take it up again." 

Approaching Calvary, we can leave ourselves behind. There is no need for self-blame, self-recrimination or self-judgment. Forgetting self I will be amazed and grateful at the Beauty of His Death. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.