Saturday, May 17, 2014

Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 284


“If you know me, then you will also know my Father.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Philip said to Jesus,
“Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time
and you still do not know me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.


Once he enters the Cenacle with his disciples the hostile conflicts of John’s Gospel end. Jesus still challenges his disciples and his tone may sound disappointed and frustrated as he teaches them, but his affection for them is palpable. He wants them – and us – to know who he is.

Isn’t that what everyone wants, to be known, recognized and appreciated by loved ones? Our loneliest moments are those when we realize, “They don’t know what I am feeling.” The feeling may be of gladness or sadness, fear or desire. It doesn’t matter what the feeling is; it wants attention and no one sees, knows or acknowledges it.  Sometimes it’s enough to say, “I feel this way.” More often, I wish someone other than myself understood.

This is Jesus’ desire as he approaches Calvary. This is God’s desire in Jesus among us. God wants us to know him, and he especially wants us to see, know, understand and appreciate how intensely he loves us. He will reveal his Son to us in the beauty and the intensity of Calvary so that we see it with blinding sight.

It is a staggering reality. In John’s gospel, when the temple guards see it they fall to the ground. Even Jesus must collapse in Gethsemane under its weight.

By the Eucharist Jesus invites us to see his love for us. It is more than we can comprehend or fathom, but perhaps we apprehend its overwhelming mystery. It’s as if we have been led blindfolded to the rim of the Grand Canyon where the blind is removed and we are finally allowed to see – and we fall back in reflexive amazement. The body cannot bear the shock of God’s intensity. Our knees collapse as we genuflect in his presence. We are speechless and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.