Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thursday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 282

“Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.


Human beings are often overwhelmed by an intense desire to touch one another. A mother cannot resist her desire to hold and kiss the toddler she had lost in the shopping center. A father must throw his arms around the son he had given up for lost. Lovers hold and caress and kiss one another (hopefully en route toward marriage!)

On the night before he died Jesus had to wash the feet of his disciples. He was overwhelmed with his love for them. The urge was so intense, demanding and painful there was no other way but to shed his outer garments, get down on his knees and pour water over their feet.
Emotion filled the room as he did so. The disciples were astonished and, except for Peter the Spokesman, silent. Not knowing what to make of it some must have wept at this tender demonstration. As he touched their feet, perhaps kissing them as the sinful woman had kissed his feet, they fought against the urge to pull away from him. How difficult it must have been to surrender to his passion, even as they wondered what on earth it might mean.
That evening he would surrender to the temple police. As Saint John tells the story, he would almost force himself upon them, “I told you that I AM. So if you are looking for me, let these men go.

On the morrow he would be crucified, after carrying his cross to Calvary. There he would establish the new congregation (Woman, behold your son. Behold your mother.) and deliver his Spirit to them.
Eventually, when their heads stopped reeling and the Holy Spirit spoke to them, his disciples would understand why Jesus washed their feet. And what he meant by "Eat my flesh. Drink my blood." And why he had to die. There were no other ways to show them how intensely he loved them.
More, they would understand what they had to do. “If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.