Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wednesday of the Sixth Week of Easter



I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth,
he will guide you to all truth.
He will not speak on his own,
but he will speak what he hears,
and will declare to you the things that are coming.




Like the Lord Jesus, the Spirit of Truth does not speak on his own but in obedience to God the Father. In the Trinity of God there is a marvelous obedience. The Father empties himself totally, expressing and giving himself in unhesitant love to Jesus and the Spirit, who receive the Gift with perfect freedom and gratitude. They in turn agree with the Father in everything. Though there are three “persons” in one God, there is only one will; and all freely obey that one.

This beautiful God – who can be defined by neither three nor one – places himself totally in our hands as the Crucified One who guides us to all truth. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

On Sunday, June 8 we will celebrate the Solemnity of Pentecost. It is the third high holy day of the year and in some ways, the most mysterious. In that feast we see all the holiness, purity and goodness of God placed in our unworthy hands. Fortunately, the Virgin Mother Mary is among us. Her presence alone makes us worthy.

As we grow in the Spirit we learn to pay attention to the impulses that come to us from God. I might never know that a kindly gesture or friendly nod struck a stranger as an amazing gift. Perhaps she was lifted out of despondency in that moment and I never even knew it. Nor need I know it since it was the work of God and not mine.

Or the Spirit which is Wisdom might place in my hands an article or book that I should read at this very time. As they say, “When the disciple is ready, the teacher will appear.” In that way God declares to me “the things that are coming.”

In the Spirit we learn to distrust our own willfulness. My vision is far too narrow, too blinkered and blind. It sees only polarized light in shades of grey. Willingness consecrates each new day to the Spirit. Every morning willingness rises to a breakfast of opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.