Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday of the First Week of Ordinary Time

Father Simon and Brother Andrew
Lectionary #309

Now some of the scribes were sitting there asking themselves,
“Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming.
Who but God alone can forgive sins?”


The skeptical scribes ask a very good question. Certainly, without the grace of God no one can forgive anyone. We might forget an insult or offense for a while, but it doesn’t take much to jog the memory of past hurts and feel the anger, rage and resentment sweeping in again.
If I forgive someone it’s because I have first allowed God’s mercy to heal the wound I have suffered; and then, secondly, I have allowed God’s grace to open my heart to my “enemy.”

But I find another challenge in this gospel story. The scribes assume that God forgives sin. That is an easy doctrine to endorse. Why shouldn’t God the all-power, all-good, all-merciful etc, etc forgive sin? From his safe place he’s got nothing better to do than forgive and forget human misbehavior. Since he placed us in this confusing, disappointing, miserable world in the first place, it’s the least he can do.

Nor is it hard for a believer to say to a repentant sinner, “God forgives your sin.” That costs us nothing; we have no skin in the game yet.

The challenge of the Pharisaic question is, “Can we who felt the insult and suffered the offense in our own bodies welcome, readmit and embrace the offending party?"

God’s forgiveness means nothing if the church cannot regard this person with compassionate, sympathetic eyes.

Corrie Ten Boom, in her book The Hiding Place, tells of a dreadful incident in a World War II prison. She and her sister Betsy saw a prisoner savagely beaten. They stood by helplessly as the horror continued. Betsy said, “Oh that poor woman!” Corrie assumed she was speaking of the victim but Betsy was talking about the prison guard. That “poor woman” was obviously afflicted with a violent, vicious hatred for herself and her God and everything else. It showed in her face and body, her words and gestures. How can such a woman live with so much evil in her heart? She deserves compassion – if for no other reason – because she was created in God’s own image and likeness.

If we the Church cannot demonstrate that kind of compassion, God’s mercy remains only a platitude in the mouth of Pharisees.

1 comment:

  1. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom was the book I read as a young adolescent that set me on fire. Corrie was so honest in her perspective. I was always challenged and impressed by the deep connection to God of Betsy. Thanks for reminding me of the depths of forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.