Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Memorial of Saint John Neumann, Bishop

Click on the Collect

Lectionary: 213


Beloved, let us love one another,
because love is of God;
everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.


I hear in Saint John's letter the exhortation of an old man who has seen the death and resurrection of Jesus and many births, deaths, and resurrections of the Church.

This congregation has been born of faith in the Christ, died of scandals, divisions, gossip, and misunderstandings, and been raised again through self-sacrificing reconciliation. 

There is nothing more important than our communion. We might undertake this or that good project -- to feed the poor or clothe the naked or visit the sick -- but if we do so without unity among ourselves -- without love -- it profits us nothing. 

Whether we act as Knights of Columbus councils, parish communities or religious orders, our action must come from the heart of our communion. 

Let us love one another first, with the profoundest reverence, respect and affection for one another. Accomplishing that, our joyful outreach will be effective. 

As Saint Paul said, "Rejoice in the Lord always. Everyone should see your generosity."

Translation: It's not your apparent fun, pleasure or happiness that gathers souls to Christ, but your generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.