Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday of the Third Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 322

“Quiet! Be still!”

Several years ago I was hospitalized and obsessively worried about how the hospital bills might be paid. At one time a priest, religious brother or sister could appear in any Catholic hospital, doctor’s office or dentist's office and receive free treatment. But when I was hospitalized in 1981 the times were changing and I was very worried.
Not only was I worried but I worried everyone else about it until finally a nurse said, “Oh, shut up!”

And I did.
I heard authority in her voice, born of love and impelled by anger.

Sometimes being reasonable just doesn’t cut it; we need to be cowed by authority. Or, if you prefer, awed.
When the Prophet Nathan confronted David with his murder and adultery, the king heard the angry voice of God. This was the same God who had promised him a house forever, whose descendants would always rule in Jerusalem. This was the ancestor of Jesus who “saw from afar” the approach of the Messiah. But he needed and got a severe rebuke from the Lord, via Nathan, and he responded immediately, “I have sinned against the Lord.”

And then he received a most severe punishment, “…the child born to you must surely die.”
In today’s gospel we watch as Jesus commands the wind and the sea to settle down. His disciples, who were terrified by the storm, now realize they are being led by an even more terrifying authority – one who can laugh and tease them for their lack of faith.

What are they to make of him? We can only imagine their bewilderment.
When we invite Jesus to “Speak, Lord, your servant is listening,” we can expect many assurances and occasional rebukes. In either case the sound of his voice gladdens the heart and calms the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.