Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 306


All were amazed and asked one another,
"What is this? A new teaching with authority. He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him."




On this tenth day of the new year, entering the less turbulent waters of "ordinary time," the Gospel invites us to amazement.

That's a good place to begin each day. Some people would call it gratitude and I don't disagree. But gratitude must include an ingredient of amazement.

Isn't it wonderful what God has done?

Isn't it wonderful that God has sent his only Son to be our Savior and Lord?

In retrospect we know we could not be saved in any other way. All the good advice in the world doesn't help. All the good intentions we can muster don't amount to a hill of beans.

The ordinary Christian on an ordinary day sets out with amazed gratitude. She says, "Isn't this wonderful?"

Who give the eyes to see? Why should the world meet our expectations of beauty, goodness and truth? Frogs fit their environment perfectly.They see what they need and desire: flies and mates. But do they see the amazing beauty, depth and mystery of the swamp? Do they sing God's praises? (Perhaps they do!)

Many people looking at the same sights, hearing the same sounds, smelling, tasting and touching the same things see nothing wonderful. Many are chronically depressed and may spiral down into the vortex of suicide. They have eyes but they cannot see; they have ears but they cannot hear. I've been there and I know. 

I had to call on a Savior because I just couldn't see anything lovely until I despaired of my own resources. 

There were skeptics among those who saw Jesus' healings. They were not impressed. They saw a threat, a nuisance, and an obstacle to be overcome. They did not see his Resurrection. If he had appeared in their midst they would not have seen. 

God the Father of Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to open our eyes that we might what is really going on, that Jesus is our Savior and Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.