Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Tuesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 462


"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."




I hear great affection in Jesus' words to Martha, and great reassurance. But I wonder what is "the better part" that Mary has chosen. I'm sure a thousand preachers could suppose a thousand different things.
Greek philosophers long ago discovered, and handed on to western civilization, the dual mystery of "one and the other."
The Lord Jesus has appeared among us as one of us. He is Mary's child, a man of Nazareth, a Jew, a subject of the Roman Empire. He speaks a human language and worships with a human religion; he has all the usual needs of a human being, meaning he depends upon others for his survival. He is one of us.
But, being a human being, he is also an other. There is no one like him in all the universe; he is unique like every other child born of woman. Whenever I meet any other person I meet someone who is and will always remain utterly mysterious to me. I will never "figure him out." I might understand much of what he says about himself and I might guess what he will do but I can never know what he is thinking or feeling or what he might do next. We live with strangers.
Jesus appeared to Martha and Mary like that familiar stranger, a man who is partly known. But, our faith tells us on the testimony of the Apostles, that Jesus bears the burden of another kind of otherness -- of a totally different magnitude.  He is the Son of God.
And so we look at God in terms of familiarity (one) and strangeness (other). Created in God's image we cannot be utterly unlike God, nor God unlike us. We use the word person (cautiously) to describe our similarities. That word connotes both familiarity and strangeness. A person is independent, dependent, interdependent and dependable.
Mary has chosen to welcome this Stranger into her home, and to listen to him with open-mouthed attention, despite her sister's noisy clattering in the kitchen which can only indicate disapproval of her behavior. Martha represents society with all its expectations and demands. Jesus represents an authority which is both alien and superior to society.
Welcoming God we welcome an Other whom we cannot know or control. God is an Other who comes with Authority to lead us into unity (oneness) with others, ourselves, the world and God-self.
Jesus is that Way; we believe He is the Only Way to communion. As Peter said, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." and "There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.”
The world is struggling today with the mystery of alien others. Should we welcome them or fear and despise them? Mary has chosen the better part.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.