Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tuesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 456

When the days for Jesus to be taken up were fulfilled, he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem, and he sent messengers ahead of him.



It's one thing to decide to do something; it's something else to tell others about it. As a introvert, I feel very strongly about that. 
The difference between an extrovert and an introvert has been described like two generals and their aides-de-camp. The extrovert general consults with his aide inside the tent then goes out to announce his decision. The introvert consults with his aide inside the tent, and sends his aide to make the announcement. As an introvert I often find, because I've told no one my intentions, the decision is not made until I actually do something. Until then, I remain uncommitted. 
When I hear that Jesus "resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem and he sent his messengers ahead of him," I understand he has decided, he has acted, and there is no turning back. Like Julius Caesar, he has "crossed the Rubicon" and must face the consequences. 
As readers of the Gospel we know what his decision means. But Saint Luke puts it differently, "When the days for Jesus to be taken up were fulfilled...." His crucifixion is "his being taken up," his rising, his ascension. Saint John's gospel says he will be "lifted up." 
Jerusalem was on a hill called Zion. Golgotha or Calvary, outside the city walls, was a hillock called "the place of the skull" and is said to have resembled the crown of a human skull. A place of execution should be highly visible to passers-by; crucifixion was especially a very public display of imperial power. And so, when we hear that Jesus resolutely determined to journey up to Jerusalem we know this journey also leads up to Mount Golgotha. 
And beyond...
He will ascend to the arms of God the Father. He will rise to take his place at God's right hand. He will go up to the place where all authority in heaven and on earth is given to him. 
In today's first reading the Prophet Zechariah predicted a day when people of every nation will go with the Jews -- and Jesus -- to their Holy City, Jerusalem. In Jesus that prophecy is fulfilled, in the sense that he is the New Jerusalem and every nation must finally come to him. 

The last word goes to Saint Thomas, the apostle who doubted Jesus' resurrection and then evangelized India, "Let us go to die with him!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.