Monday, December 4, 2017

Monday of the First Week of Advent


The mountain of the LORD's house shall be established as the highest mountain and raised above the hills. All nations shall stream toward it; many peoples shall come and say: "Come, let us climb the LORD's mountain, to the house of the God of Jacob, That he may instruct us in his ways, and we may walk in his paths."


In today's gospel the Roman centurion represents the beginning of that vast parade of gentiles -- "all nations" -- who must fulfill the prophecy of Jesus:
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven."
Impelled by human restlessness, they are drawn by the Holy Spirit which gives their endless migrating direction. Since prehistoric times human beings have wandered from the equator to the poles and back again. They flee flooding and fires, disease and famine, war and hatred; they search for a safe place to hunt, harvest and raise their young. Often warring over fruitful lands even as they exploit and destroy its fertility, they are driven to move again and again.
Homeless on their own planet, the human race finds refuge only when they arrive in "The New Jerusalem."
"What are you looking for?" Jesus asked two of John's disciples.
"Rabbi, where do you live? they answered.
"Come and see." he said.
The Lord invites us into Advent.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.