Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Wednesday of the Sixth Week of Easter


I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.


"Ignorance is bliss!" or so I'm told. It is certainly the human condition. No matter how carefully we studied, considered and pondered our decisions beforehand, we have sometimes been clobbered by consequences we never imagined. Some of those consequences were immediate and we were humiliated. Others might not appear for ten, twenty or a hundred years -- and yet we're responsible for them. 
Could Henry Ford imagine that his marvelous assembly line would build machines that would destroy life on our planet? Certainly not, but we do recall how he lobbied congress to enable the oil industry to build gas stations from coast to coast. We were so delighted with the horseless carriage we redesigned our cities and entire way of life around them. Then we told even the poorest people on earth they should have the same freedom. So here we are, dealing with massive pollution, and hoping electric cars might make a difference.
Perhaps ignorance is a necessary precondition of freedom. If I know too much I might not act at all! And so I study, consider, ponder and pray for guidance. "Lord, what do you want me to do?"
I think I should always be aware of You. You should always be in my consciousness, a pleasant companion looking over my shoulder, whispering in my ear, assisting, guiding, encouraging. Sometimes you tell me to go here; sometimes you say don't go there; sometimes your silence tells me to do nothing or decide on my own. And face the consequences.
Lord, let me feel your guiding hand on my shoulder as I manage each day. Thank you, Lord, for cleaning up some of the messes I leave behind. Your mercy inspires my friends and family to overlook my mess. You know how often I clean up after others! Hah!
Let your Spirit of Truth guide me in all truth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.